Thursday, April 23, 2015

Parent Meeting.

So this year is a really big change for the parents. We have 11 kids total instead of 10 and we as coaches decided that we would only start 10 and not play the entire lineup. This means that one player will sit during parts of the games. The parents are not too fond of that concept. After most games, I have some sort of confrontation from a parent mad at me for sitting their child and not playing him. Of course, every time I am approached I say the same thing... "It was best for the team as a whole unit to have your chid sit at that time." I'm not sure how long it's going to take until all the parents realize that but the team is currently 9-0 on the season and what I'm doing is going to work.
An advocate parent took it upon himself to organize a parent meeting to try and explain to the parents what the strategy is, why he's (I'm) doing it, and how it will help the players in life and in baseball. I was told that the meeting went well wit of course the minor complaints from parents who believe in the every player gets a ribbon mentality.
Overall I think there will be a positive change in the parent support now that they feel in the loop, whether they support it or not.

6 comments:

  1. Don't you love parents and kid sports

    ReplyDelete
  2. Occasional meetings sound like a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wondering what the mentality is behind this idea but it really seems to be working well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am wondering what the mentality is behind this idea but it really seems to be working well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the child who sits on the bench rotate? I think an issue is that since parents spend money on sports, they expect to get something for it.

    ReplyDelete